- This event has passed.
POOR PEOPLE’S CAMPAIGN, MARCH TO STAY ALIVE, Olympia
March 2 @ 10:00 am
Sat March 2, at the State Capitol, 416 Sid Snyder Ave SW, Olympia
- Gathering starts at 10 am in Sylvester Park.
- March from Sylvester Park to the Capitol starts at 11 am (0.6 miles).
- Assembly begins at noon at the steps of the Legislative Building.
One of PPC gatherings in 31 states across the nation!
We will put our state legislature and our governor on notice in Olympia- far, far too many people in Washington live in poverty or are just one emergency away from it despite living in one of the wealthiest states in the wealthiest nation in the world.
We will shift the narrative and demand public policies that fully address the interlocking injustices we face every day. We will call for an end to war-first policies and demand investments in housing, health care, and education. A shift from death to life.
What Is the Purpose of the Rally?
- bring the demands of 140 million poor and low-wealth people to our state lawmakers across the country
- make people aware that poverty is the 4th leading cause of death in the U.S. and demand that that be changed
- activate 85 million poor and low-wealth eligible voters across the country
- act in conjunction with 30 states to make our demands heard in unison
Why Have the Rally at the State Capitol In Olympia?
- the most destructive policies take place at the state level, which is why the rally is meant to bring these values to as many state capitals as possible in rallies across the country that will be planned to take place at the same time.
- We cannot let poverty have the last word in our state when 2.5 million Washingtonians experience poverty
Fellowship of Reconciliation USA, Western Washington FOR, and 4 WWFOR chapters are PPC Mobilizing Partners
MORE ABOUT NATIONAL POOR PEOPLE’S CAMPAIGN:
Our Demands: A Moral Agenda Based on Fundamental Rights
FLYER FOR MARCH 2 EVENT IN OLYMPIA
Go to https://wwfor.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/PPCMarch2flyerwqrcode.pdf to view or download the WA PPC flyer containing QR code to RSVP.
VIDEO CONVERSATION ABOUT POOR PEOPLE’S CAMPAIGN
The February 2024 program of Glen’s Parallax Perspectives series focuses on the Poor People’s Campaign. Producer Glen Anderson hosted WA PPC Tri-Chair Rev. Dr. Kelle Brown in a conversation about the roots of PPC in the 1960s through the organizing being done today. Watch at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKQ_hwDF0tw .